You are here: Home - Michael Mackey Urologist : Robotic Surgery : Robotic Prostatectomy
|Why da Vinci® surgery?|
|The da Vinci® - FAQs||
Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy
Conventional open Radial Prostatectomy has generally been regarded as the most effective treatment for clinically localized prostate cancer. Robotic prostatectomy enables the surgeon to perform the procedure with better vision, and in a minimally invasive fashion.
This innovative technology is now available in New Zealand. MercyAscot has purchased the first da Vinci unit in New Zealand.
The US military was instrumental in developing the prototype for the da Vinci surgical robot. The concept was to develop a device that could be mounted on an armoured vehicle and operated remotely in the battlefield.
Intuitive Surgical commercialized the system, calling it the da Vinci. In the space of 7 years 500 da Vinci robots have been produced and used for many surgical applications.
- The surgeon makes laparoscopic key-hole incisions in the abdomen and inserts the ports.
- The robot is wheeled into position and docked onto the ports.
- Instruments an be placed down the posts, and controlled remotely by the surgeon via the “masters” in the surgical console.
- The instruments are “wristed” and replicate hand movements which greatly improves dexterity over conventional laparoscopic instruments.
The Advantages of Robotic Assisted Prostatectomy above Open Surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- 10-12 x magnification (with 3D vision) for the surgeon
- Tremor filtration
- Less blood loss (average 100-200mls versus 500-1,000 open)
- Less postoperative pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery
- The latest Robotic prostatectomy data using an athermal dissection technique suggest there is a better chance of preserving potency (erectile function)
- Most surgeons see a reduction in their positive surgical margins rate
- Continence rates are high, with very low rates of bladder-neck scarring
Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy - Patient Info (16 KB)
Back to top